I realized over the past year or so that I have been giving things up. I still have a long list of other things to give up, most give up kicking my own ass about everything, but that a story for another day. Last night at the concert I made a mental list of things I had given up.
1. Caffeine – thanks to the medication I am on I would be Jumpy McJupperty if I still drank caffeinated beverages. I still take a taste every once in a while so I can get back that feeling of riding the dragon. Even as much as miss being able to drink Coke I will say it has helped in losing weight so I am cool with it.
2. Being cool – I took Devo’s advice and I am just through being cool
3. Being 5-10 – And I will never be 5-10. I am 5-9 1/2 and that is the way it is.
4. Playing Madden – Something I though unimaginable since 1993, but I just have not played a game of Ol’ Madden since February.
5. Being young – Last night at the Pysch Furs/Yaz concert I noticed that I may have been one of the youngest ones there, at age 36. I should have known the moment I asked the Better Half, “When did our parents start going to our shows?” that my youth had “gone daddy gone”. Well I knew this day was coming, now excuse me I have to pull my pants up to my arm pits, chase kids off the lawn and get to the early bird special at Denny’s.
Post script to this post – The concert was good, sure Richard Butler looked like the child of Johnny Rotten and James Spader but sounded great. Yaz surprised me I was entertained.