After what seems like 15 years the Sopranos ends. I will miss it. The show has been an excellent, even though it’s had it moments of anger (for being off for so long) and ???? (did we need a Tony in the desert hopped up on nativie American goof balls?). But I hope HBO can keep rolling out the great programing and not allow shows to drift away (seriously Deadwood should have had another season)
But here is a quick list of my favorite HBO series from over the years
1. The Wire – If you do not agree I will have Omar come by and have a word.
2. Deadwood – Brilliant. Swearengen is my homeboy.
3. Sopranos – Should be higher, but too many delays and too many tangents they went off on. I just wonder what would have happened if the actress who played Tony’s mom had lived. What direction would the story arch taken.
4. Entourage – Flat out funny, sure the “Hug it Out” maybe as overused as “Vote for Pedro”, it still works and the show still is magnificent and from what I can tell from articles that it is based in a good deal of accuracy, well as much as we can get from Hollywood without threat of a court order.
5. The Chris Rock Show – I am glad for the success of Everyone Hates Chris, but I miss this show. Had some interesting guest, good musical acts and some great skits
6. Big Love – Moving up the charts, still trying to get over the fact that Chet has three wives.
7. Dennis Miller Live – I am really sad Dennis is dead and been replaced by a soulless chunk of carbon.
8. Not Necessarily the News – A forgotten classic
9. First and Ten – Bubba and Jethro you have not been forgotten.
10. Arli$$ – Yes, I enjoyed it. Hey I think Bob Whul is funny.
Not on the list
Lucky Louie – He was good as a writer for the Chris Rock Show, and is not bad as a stand up, but this show was awful
Carnivale – Never saw it, heard it was good.
The Mind of the Married Man – Awful, also it is not a good omen that the day you are going to flog your show on Good Morning America happens to be 9/11/2001.
Real Time with Bill Maher – A great show and I should watch this more, but he personally is such a pompous ass it is tough for me to even try watching him.